I met this fellow on a popular pathway by the river near Edwothy Park. I had just arrived, got my stuff ready and he was the first person to walk in my direction. While he was walking towards me I noticed he was wearing headphones, so my first thought was to just let him pass by, but I made the split second decision to just walk over to him, get his attention and then tell him what I was up to. Right when I stopped him and he took off his head phones I could tell he was a nice guy. I told him what was up and he happily agreed to participate. Here is what Ramah had to say.
1. Where are you from?
I’m from Sudan.
2. Sudan! Awesome, wow. So how did you end up in Calgary?
We came here because my brother was born disabled, so we had to move to Canada for his surgery.
3. Oh wow! So why Calgary of all places?
We have family here.
4. Do you like living in Calgary?
Ya it’s a quite place. Lots of nice views and stuff.
5. Is there anything in particular you like about the city?
I just like walking through downtown, meeting new people and stuff.
Rob: I’m the same way, I enjoy the same thing :).
6. What do you like to do for fun?
Well I’m here to do cross-country at Edworthy Park.
Rob: Oh is that right? Ok cool, like cross-crounty, , , ahhh
Ramah: Cross-country running.
Rob: Oh awesome, good for you.
7. If you had to describe Calgary to some one, what would you say?
You have to see the scenes.
8. Have you ever ridden a horse?
9. Anything you’d like to add?
Calgary’s a great place to meet new people and, , , ya that’s it.
Thank you for taking the time to talk to me Ramah and I wish all the best for you and your family in Canada.
Thanks for stopping by, Rob